1. Lower Prices
The most popular reason to buy something used is to SAVE some money, and furniture is a great item that can often keep more money in your pocket if you can buy used. Especially on items that take little wear and tear such as accent tables, bookcases, display cabinets, etc. You can often get a piece of furniture at a fraction of the cost of what you would spend new, and you may never notice the difference.
2. Character & Craftmanship
How does the old saying go? "They don't make them like they used to!". This can be especially true in furniture, where it was very common years ago to use materials such as solid woods, hand tied springs, hand carving, and other features in furniture. This type of craftmanship is becoming a lost art today, as the marketplace has been driven by low cost goods in the mass market.
With the growth of the Big Box Retailer in todays culture there is less choice than we used to have, many people want to have something unique in their home that maybe their neighbor or friend does not have.
What a better reason to buy something new than to help keep down the use of natural materials used by unnecessary consumption? Rather than letting something go to waste, when you buy or donate used furniture someone else may be able to reuse or repurpose your furniture. This helps keep natural resources in the natural use of their life cycle and reduce landfill waste.
5. Repurpose & Make it your Own
One of the most popular trends in design today is to "Repurpose" furniture and other materials to be used in decor. Through the internet we now are able to get just about any idea of how to refinish, repaint, repair, or even remake just about anything. Maybe you have been looking everywhere for that pink dresser for your daughters room, but can't seem to find it anywhere. With the low cost of used furniture, your problems may be solved with just a little sweat and a gallon of paint, and on top of it all when someone asks, "Where did you get that great piece of furniture?" you can say you made it all yourself!
Source: Furniture for a Cause
There are many benefits in buying second hand. For starters, you can find true treasures that can not be found at regular stores. But buying second hand has also many other benefits you may not have thought about. Here are some key benefits:
1. More Affordable: Used products are generally 50% cheaper allowing you to stretch out your wallet.
2. Experience the Thrill of the Hunt: Whether you are looking to buy or just looking, it is always fun to visit Second Hand shops.
3. Help your Local Economy: 100% of the money you spend stays and helps your local economy.
4. Its GREEN: Buying used items cuts down on manufacturing demands and keeps more items out of the landfill!
5. Brand Names: At Second Hand shops you are very likely to find many brand names from furniture to clothes, depending what you are looking for.